Dededo fire contained
The fire at Global Recycling Center in Dededo is contained and will continue to be monitored by the Guam Fire Department (GFD) and Guam EPA until it is completely extinguished.
Guam EPA, GFD, Guam Homeland Security and the mayor’s office worked together during the initial response and will continue to do so. Excavators are being used to ensure the fire is completely extinguished.
“We are actively looking into what caused the fire and until more information is obtained we do not want to speculate as to the cause,” said Guam EPA Acting Administrator Walter Leon Guerrero. “More information will be available after a diligent review of the situation.”
Residents in areas affected by smoke from the fire are encouraged to stay indoors until the fire is completely extinguished.
As a precaution, residents affected by smoke or decreased air quality are encouraged to take the following measures:
- Residents are encouraged to stay indoors if it will reduce exposure and irritation from outdoor air.
- Individuals with heart or respiratory ailments should stay indoors and reduce the amount of outdoor activity.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to affected outdoor air when doing physical activity.
- Residents using indoor air conditioners should set the units in re-circulating mode to reduce outdoor air replacement.
- Delay hanging laundry outside.