For the Love of Guam Earth Day 2013 contests announced
The Guam Environmental Protection Agency (Guam EPA) today, as lead of the Environmental Education Committee, announced multiple contests offered as part of Earth Day 2013 activities.
The contests include the following
- Hike for a Day: Hike for a total of 24 hours before Friday, April 12, 2013 and win a prize. This contest is open to all ages and abilities. Download the entry form and submit it along with your hiking logs.
- Model your Watershed contest:This contest is open to elementary school students. The goal of this contest is to create a display that shows a healthy watershed in Guam, preferably in your village.
- Young Reporters contest: This contest is open to middle, high school and college students. Participants in this contest must find an environmental issue in Guam to report about and submit their entry in photographs, video or written journalistic style.
- Comic Book Creation contest: This contest is open to middle school, high school, college students and members of the community. The goal is to create a comic book character and story line about sustainable living.
- Environmental Stewardship contest: Nominate a high school, college, community or business group for this award. The award seeks to honor those who have performed a project that protects or improves Guamâ€™s environment.
â€śThe Environmental Education Committee has created contests for every age level and ability with the hope that any resident who would like to participate in Earth Day 2013 can do so through a contest,â€ť said Guam EPA Administrator Eric Palacios. â€śWe are very excited to see our community participate in these contests and raise the level of understanding and appreciation for natural resources.â€ť
Earth Day 2013 activities are being coordinated by the Guam Environmental Education Committee (EEC). The theme for 2013 is “For the Love of Guam.” The EEC is a working partnership between numerous government, private and public organizations that conducted environmental education events. EEC members include the Guam Department of Agriculture, the Bureau of Statistics and Plans, University of Guam, Guam Community College, the Island Beautification Task Force, the National Park Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, Naval Base Guam and the iRecycle program.
For more information about the Earth Day 2013 contests or to get copies of the entry forms, please contact Tammy Jo Anderson Taft at 300-4761, 988-7582 or email TammyJoAnderson.Taft@epa.guam.gov.