17-3304 Mariner Avenue Tiyan Barrigada, Guam 96913
671.300.4751 671.300.4752

Hazardous Waste Permits

All Living Things Of The Earth Are One • Manunu Todu I Manlåla’la’

Forms for Permits by Hazardous Waste Program

Complete Permit Name Short Name    
Notification for Underground Storage Tanks Permit Appendix I Get form
Notification of Regulated Waste Activity Form US EPA Form 8700-12 Get form
RCRA Part A Permit Application US EPA Form 8700-23 Get form
RCRA Subtitle C Site Identification Form 2018 US EPA Form 8700-12, 8700-13 A/B, 8700-23 Get Form

Information about Specific Permits

Underground Storage Tanks (UST’s)

Underground storage tanks (USTs) must be registered by completing and filing the Notification for UST Permit (Appendix I) with Guam EPA. This form ensures that outdated tank technology is replaced and in compliance with local and federal laws.

Guam EPA must be notified of all UST installations and removals. The life span of older tanks is limited, especially with the new regulations that require double walled tanks and leak detection systems. USTs must be inspected annually and if they are faulty or leaking, they must be repaired or removed. In most cases, when a tank does not meet current regulations or has leaked petroleum product, the tank must be removed, the soil remediated, and cleaned up. The Agency’s UST program will inspect and prescribe a course of action to resolve any tank problem which must then be implemented by the tank owner. Above ground storage tanks are also regulated. These tanks must have a proper secondary containment system as opposed to double-walled tank designs.

For a listing of all USTs in Guam, visit our Public Documents archive.

Storage, Treatment and Disposal of Hazardous Waste

All hazardous waste management activities have standards for identification, labeling, containers/packaging, ownership and responsible parties, emergency planning, and other considerations that account for all aspects of management. This comprehensive system is known as the “cradle to grave” management system.

Individual permits for hazardous waste activities may be issued to government or privately owned facilities. Larger facilities like military bases may manage hazardous wastes through a combination of activities and therefore have multiple permits to treat, store and dispose (TSD) of certain hazardous wastes on-island. The permit has two parts. Part A and Part B are narratives. For information about the Part B portion, please review the Hazardous Waste Regulations.

The transportation of hazardous wastes is regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation through the Guam Department of Public Works, Highway Division. Guam EPA is involved in the tracking of waste types and quantities transported. The Notification process makes the various waste streams are accurately tracked through registration with Guam EPA and U.S. EPA.

Regulating hazardous wastes, including identification, status of waste, and potential responsibilities of all parties involved is one of if not the most complicated regulatory task of the Agency. Individuals are strongly encouraged to contact the Guam EPA Hazardous Waste Management Program for guidance.

Notification of Hazardous Waste Activity

The following activities require an individual or organization to notify Guam EPA and U.S. EPA. After notification, the activity will have an EPA identification number:

  • Facilities that generate hazardous waste.
  • Transportation of hazardous waste
  • Treatment of hazardous waste
  • Storage of hazardous waste
  • Disposal of hazardous waste
  • Marketing of used oil
  • Hazardous Waste Fuel Marketers
  • Burners of used oil
  • Transportation of used oil
  • Processor/Re-refiner of used oil

Please note – Original copies of the completed forms must be submitted to Guam EPA for processing.

Links to Guam EPA laws


Links to Guam EPA regulations


Links to Guam EPA permits