During the holiday season, Guam EPA is encouraging all residents to reduce, reuse, recycle and be sustainable. To help, the Agency has complied the following list of tips for reducing and managing potential waste created during the holidays.
- Buy products with less plastic and packaging.
- Remember your canvas bag when going shopping. This reduces the amount of plastic bags going to the landfill in Dandan.
- Buy local. This reduces the amount of fuel used to ship things here.
- Use a living plant for your Christmas tree instead of buying a plastic version. Your tree can then be planted in the yard as a reminder of your holiday memories.
- Buy high quality gifts. These gifts last longer and ultimately create less waste in the landfill.
- Reuse wrapping paper for gift bags or school crafts.
- Wrap using gift bags. They can be folded up and used for many years.
- Keep your Christmas ornaments for next year. Not only does this make memories, but it reduces waste.
- Reuse gift wrap if possible. Some sturdy papers can be used multiple times.
- Buy rechargeable batteries instead of those that go to the landfill right after use.
- Buy recycled wrapping paper.
- Recycle wrapping paper you have used for gift bag fill or school projects.
- Take any cardboard unwrapped during Christmas Day and recycle it using our Recycling Guide.
- Save your phone books for the upcoming phone book recycling collection.
- Save electricity: Shut off Christmas lights before you go to bed. Use LED lights if possible. Get the kids out of the house if they are on break. Families inside use more power with air conditioning, television and other electronics. Hiking doesn’t require any electricity!
- Mulch your tree: If you bought a real tree this year make sure to mulch it, chop it up and use it for cooking or chip it for your compost pile.