Guam EPA to present at Merizo village public meeting on Nov. 22
November 18, 2019 (Tiyan, Guam) – On Friday, November 22, the Guam Environmental Protection Agency (Guam EPA) will participate at a public village meeting hosted by The Nature Conservancy (TNC) at the Merizo Pier Park. The public village meeting is scheduled to take place from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Guam EPA will conduct a presentation on a tire reef removal project.
“The Nature Conservancy Guam is hosting an important village meeting in Merizo. U.S. EPA Ecological & Human Health Risk Assessors, US Coast Guard Honolulu Environmental Engineering, Division of Aquatic Wildlife Resources and Guam EPA will discuss projects, and provide updates on studies performed in the Merizo and the Cocos Lagoon.,” said Guam EPA Administrator Walter S. Leon Guerrero.
Discussion topics at the November 22 meeting are:
• Results and risk assessments for the NOAA Chemical Contaminants in Sediments and Fish from Cocos lagoon project
• Results for the NOAA Assessment of Chemical Contaminants in the Waters Around Cocos lagoon
• Update on preliminary results from NOAA’s Turbidity and Nutrient Study in Three Rivers draining into the Achang Reef Flat Marine Preserve
• Update on the US Coast Guard Cocos Island Remediation Project
• Guam EPA presentation on Cocos Lagoon Tire Reef Removal Project
“We are pleased with The Nature Conservancy’s invitation to present and we encourage all interested parties to attend and engage in discussion with subject matter experts from NOAA, U.S. EPA and the US Coast Guard on the projects and clean-up efforts taking place in Merizo,” stated Leon Guerrero.